The Johnny Douglas Award
The recipient of this award will receive a cash prize of NZD$1,000.
To recognise outstanding new talent in a broadcasting course.
To encourage talented new broadcasters who aspire to make a difference and become leaders in the media, with a particular passion for radio.
- Currently accepted for entry into an NZQA accredited institution OR
- Has successfully completed their studies (i.e. completion of the last paper) in an NZQA accredited institution in the six months preceding 1 April 2021 AND
- Is a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand
You must provide contact details of a referee who is a tutor at the broadcasting school and/or a radio industry professional, who may be consulted during judging.
- Audio of a maximum duration of 5 minutes:
To show innovative use of the medium (‘theatre of the mind’). It should be primarily created by the applicant but may employ other talent e.g. voice(s). It may be a promo, commercial, dramatic script, piece of comedy or a sample of live on-air/recorded performance.
- A short statement should be included (no more than 500 words) describing:
- What is special about radio.
- Something you would like to achieve in radio.
- If you have one, recall a memorable moment listening to radio.
- What or who inspired you to a successful career in the media.
Click here to download the written submission template for this award. This category is free to enter but you must enter the following code when prompted during the entry process: JDAWARD2021.
A - 30 POINTS | Audio submission
B - 20 POINTS | Written submission